The Lyceum is located in the heart of London's West End in Covent Garden.
The Lyceum Theatre in London is a long and complex tale of success, downfall and rebirth. It all started in 1772 when the Society of Arts founded a room for exhibitions and concerts near the site of the current building.
1809 saw a defining moment for the Lyceum Theatre. A fire burnt down the Theatre Royal in Drury Lane. Its company moved to the Lyceum, enabling the theatre to obtain a proper licence from the Lord Chamberlain for the presentation of plays. Theatrical brilliance began. In 1815 the Lyceum was completely rebuilt by the design of Samuel Beazley. Misfortune struck and in 1830 the Lyceum and a large section of Exeter Street burnt down. Another version of the Theatre was built and re-opened in 1834. The Lyceum became the first theatre in England to incorporate a balcony which projected over the circle.
During this time Henry Irving, an acclaimed actor, took over and turned the venue into the most brilliant playhouse in London. However, fire struck again and Irving’s assets were destroyed. It was decide to rebuild again, completing in 1907. The building was used as a theatre and and ballroom up until its closure in 1984.
In 1996, the Lyceum saw its sixth reincarnation. After an investment of £14 million, the building was refurbished and re-opened by HRH Prince Charles on 31st October 1996, with ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’. Business continues to flourish at The Lyceum Theatre, now owned by The Ambassador Theatre Group, and home to Disney’s production ‘The Lion King’.