Theatre Royal Brighton is situated in the heart of the eclectic North Laine shopping area, opposite The Royal Pavilion.
This important grade II listed building is one of the oldest working theatres in the country with an exquisite example of a regency auditorium. With a collection of historic buildings that surround the stage house, it is a fine example of a Theatre that has evolved over the last two hundred years.
Theatre in Brighton started in 1766 at Barn Hall in Brighthelmstone, a village soon to become Brighton. Theatregoers were to patronise two other buildings in the city before The Prince of Wales gave his Royal Assent for the building of a new Theatre Royal Brighton on its present site in the summer of 1806. The Theatre first opened its doors to the public on Saturday June 27 1807 with a performance of Hamlet and The Weather Cock starring Charles Kemble of Drury Lane.
Through the twentieth century the Theatre grew in stature and national reputation. International playwright Ibsen premiered a UK production of The Doll’s House at the Theatre. Later Rattigan, Coward and Orton plays opened as a try out date before a London West End run. The Redgrave Family, Lord Olivier, John Gielgud, Marlene Dietrich, Dame Margot Fonteyn, Rex Harrison, Dame Judy Dench and Paul Scofield are but a few of the stars who performed on the famous stage.